Wednesday, June 25, 2008






Today I had my business exercise with Mr. Kammath and Mr. Aditya Athalye. The exercise began with selecting partners and getting into pairs of two. The whole class was divided into groups and given separate areas. The area allotted to me was Deccan. Some of the class had to go Aundh. My partner was Puneet Agrawal. The basic instructions given to us to be followed were –
Not to spend any money of our own for anything like travelling, food, etc.
Earn as much money as we can without giving the details of our college. Earn on our own esteem like our first salary.
Return by 6 pm and reach India Bulls Mega Store at Senapati Bapat Marg.
As soon as we got our job we had to send a sms to Mr. Prateek Singh, our senior about our job .
I left college at 9:30 am after getting the instructions. Puneet and myself after leaving college immediately started looking for some kind of lift to reach Deccan. After some time and after some cars going by we finally got “the lift” by Mr. Mallik a Civil Engineer at Kolte Patil Developer and Construction company Pvt. Ltd. We were dropped at FC road where our journey began to the real world.
I, being not from Pune was not very familiar with roads but Puneet was, so that was a great help. Now I ran from pillar to post searching for my job. I went to many places starting of by Ims Coaching centre, Times of India, Vaishali and Roopali the restaurants, British Library, cafe coffee day, the mobile store, Oriental bank Of Commerce, Barista, etc. Now I know why breakfast was so important because i had to run from one point to another in search of my job.
The basic problem I was facing was that everywhere they were asking about my college which I could not tell. No one was willing to hire people for a single day. Everyone wanted to know why I wanted the job for a day and questions were bombarded everywhere.
While searching for the job I met Mr. Abhishek Aggarwal at FC road who over heard our conversation and got to know I wanted a job badly. So, he offered us to come to ICICI Lombard where we might get our job. Finally I got my job at icici Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd. at Sohrab hall at 12:30.
ICICI Lombard is a huge general insurance company with many people working and slogging it out. I saw many people working on computers, answering calls, dealing with pestering clients, collecting data etc. Puneet and myself spoke to Mr. Aggarwal over there who then told us to meet the HR manager Jas Simrit Dhindsa. I told here I needed a job for today and on the recommendation of Mr. Abhishek she gave me the job. She also found me very confident and having good communication skills. So I was given the job of Data Calling.
My job was basically to call clients and convince them to buy general, motor or health insurance. A marketing job testing my patience and my communication skills. I was given the data of client including his name, address, phone number and car model. I was given a reliance phone through which I made the calls and I sat in their training room.
It was a good experience as I learned how to deal with people and how to convince them. I had to call people showing I am an ICICI executive selling the best insurance scheme. Some customers were rude, some genuinely interested and some had insurance from other companies. I called 120 customers from which I was able to convince 10. I told them ICICI would get back to them and gave their details to Mr Abhishek at the end.
I realised how difficult it is to actually clinch deals in the corporate world. Customers today have a huge variety to choose from and it is really difficult to convince them about your product. More over I had to be really patient with people who got rude and were least interested in buying insurance.
By the end of it I gave my feedback to Mr Abhishek who appreciated my work a lot. He thought I did a great job and added value to their company. After this I met the HR manager who also appreciated my work.
The best part of my first working experience was obviously the salary. Puneet and myself together got a cheque of Rs. 400 for our sincere efforts and genuine hard work.
We left by 5 30 for Indiabulls by taking another lift which was the only way to commute and reach the place by 6. There I got to know about how everyone else had done their business exercise. Then I again took two more lifts to reach college and that was the end to the most memorable business exercise.
Overall it was the best exposure that I have got till now in SIMS. It gave me in depth knowledge about the corporate world and how hard we have to work to earn money. It was also a new experience to work in a team and co ordinate things accordingly.
The most important things I learnt today –
The pride in earning my first salary
How difficult it is to get a job
The importance of good communication Skills
How to be persuasive with a customer
Maintain your cool with a customer
Work as a team
Be passionate in whatever you do
It was an exhilarating experience, one of my best days in SIMS, I realised my potential and my ability to reach out to people.
I also realised the value of hard work

2 comments:

Amar Bindra said...

Dear Kamal,
You have done us pride --- the way you have taken your first step into the corporate world.May be a small step by you --- but a big leap in your attitude towards professionalism.
Congrats and keep it up,
Your Mum & Dad!!

anon said...

Kamal...

Looks like you did your parents proud.

Keep it going.

Good luck.